Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Late Start But Not a Lost Night

As I almost expected, I didn't start writing tonight until late - however, write I did. Hilary and I played Lord of the Rings Online until nearly 2am, when I popped out to Wal-Mart to do a little grocery shopping. (Trust me, it's the best time to do it.)

But I sat down at about 3:30am, and began to work. As I've seen suggested elsewhere, I started with some free writing to get my brain moving. I wrote about what I wanted to try to write. Before long, I hit on a few ideas that coalesced into the character I think I was trying to create. He came together pretty quickly once I started writing.

That left me trying to come up with another character concept. I allowed myself some access to the outside world via Twitter and the web while I thought about what I wanted. A little more brainstorming resulted in yet another character that I'm pretty happy with. (Well, at least happy with for the moment.)

It's now about 5:30am. I've got somewhere to be at 3pm, so I'll draw the line here for now. This was possibly my most productive night yet though. It certainly felt a bit easier. I'm not sure if that's because I was writing from home (where I can control the music I hear, and I'm much less likely to be interrupted) or if it's due to other factors. Either way, a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment