Monday, January 25, 2010

Act One

I think I'm drawing to a close in my first act.

To keep things simple, I tried to plot my project according to the three-act structure so that I could get a grasp on what shape the story was going to take. I think I see the light at the end of the first act now.

I'm not sure where my story is geographically, though. I keep referring to 'the city' because I'm too cowardly to either make up a city, or pick one. I'm going to need to do that in my second draft, though. The city I'm making, though, I feel like I added a pretty colorful locale to. Floyd's Diner is a 24-hour greasy spoon that's particularly popular with the cape and mask crowd. (Or at least, with those on the right side of the law.) There aren't many places to grab lunch at 3:30 in the morning, and so Floyd's got the occasional bit of 'to go' business with the city's heroes who aren't too busy to break for lunch. It just came to me, and I like it. If I get the chance to tell more stories with these characters, I expect Floyd's to appear again.

I didn't do tonight's writing exercise. It involved adapting a few lines from elsewhere, and adapting them for lines of your own. It sounds like the type of exercise that helps you get a feel for the flow of your words. I just didn't have it in me to find a bit of rhythmic text that grabbed me.

But I did get some writing done. Here's the word count:

Tonight's Word Count: 896

Total Word Count: 14,889

In my next shift, I expect to break 15,000 words - all of which will have been written since the New Year. A month ago, I hadn't taken any of my ideas past pre-writing notes and now I'm almost 15,000 words in. It's exciting. I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment