Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Challenges

For those who don't know, I'm currently working as a nighttime security guard, and I do some of my writing at work. In the middle of the night it's a way for me to keep myself awake, pass the time and try to do something productive.

Of course, this means that sometimes the demands of my job will interfere with my actual work, if you can understand that distinction.

We've had a bit of a cold spell lately, so part of my job was put on hold. (Between 10pm and 4am, another guard and I are supposed to take turns keeping an eye on the parking lot to discourage vandals and thieves.) With the temperatures gradually increasing, that part of my job was reinstated tonight. So I'm going to need to find a comfortable way to write around the fact that every other hour I'm supposed to be outside - away from my laptop. Tonight, I cheated a bit. But I need to get used to writing in smaller increments so that it doesn't interrupt me too badly. (And I also need to start more quickly to make the best use of my time.)

That said, I had another decent night. In all honesty, I think it was my most productive night so far, but I think I can do better if I didn't putter around quite so much. :) Anyhow, here's the word count for the night:

Tonight's Word Count: 1301

Total Word Count: 11319

No comments:

Post a Comment