Tuesday, January 26, 2010

On The Verge Of A Climax

Get your mind out of the gutter, I'm on the very edge of the first act climax to my writing project.

I was in the middle of a detailed post about what I wanted to do for the climax. I was talking a bit about the narrative technique I wanted to employ for the way I've pictured this scene playing out - but I realized that not only was I spoiling my story before anybody had read it, I was spoiling it before I'd even written it. I think that it'd be better for a reader to judge the dramatic affect by reading it before they know it's coming.

So I've shelved that post. I'll go back to it after I've written it, and one or two folks have read it. I'm lucky in that I've got friends like Caine who are willing to give my first draft a look, while I'm writing it. He's already given me some feedback that I'm trying to work in as I work my way forward. I've made a conscious decision not to go back and apply it to the early parts of the story until I've completed the first draft. I'd be willing to take on a couple other 'Alpha' readers if there's any interest.

I think I'm going to stop writing for the night, though. I've still got some time to work with, but I want to sleep on this scene and give my subconscious a chance to weigh in on it. I've still gotten over a thousand words written, so it's not like I'm slacking. Here's tonight's word count to prove it!

Tonight's Word Count: 1,102

Total Word Count: 15,991

Almost a third the length of a NaNo entry. Not bad, though I'm taking a more relaxed pace. I'm definitely going to have to take another stab at NaNoWriMo this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment