Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Writing Exercise - Flying A Kite

Another day, another writing exercise from C. M. Mayo's website. Here's today:

January 27 "Flying a Kite"
Describe a person flying a kite

And start:

He bent over and picked the plastic form off the ground. What's the matter with this thing, he thought. Turning it over in his hands, he looked it over. The frame still looks good, and I don't see any tears. Why won't it fly?

He turned and felt the wind whip through his hair, carrying the salty air past his face. The beach was empty. He'd seen a jogger about twenty minutes ago, and nobody since. The sun was barely over the horizon. I can't believe I'm having this much trouble with a kite. He held it firmly into the wind, and felt the breeze trying to wrench it from his grip. Alright... let's give this one more go.

With an upward toss, he released the kite and stepped quickly back. It struggled to navigate the currents of air buffeting it. He tugged on the string, pulling it into a better angle to catch the wind, and gasped involuntarily as it took flight. He slowly fed out the string, watching it rise higher and higher in the early morning air. He stopped feeling the chill air, and stopped noticing the wind as it rose.

And, time.

It's been a long time since I've tried to fly a kite, so the mechanics escape me. ;) I'm trying to do a little better about injecting my characters' voice into bits that don't have any dialog, so I'm trying to work that in where I can.

I haven't started writing yet tonight. Apparently the University of South Carolina won a basketball game tonight, so things are a little busy for 2am on a Wednesday morning. I'll be getting to work on that presently, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment