Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What's In A Name?

I can't speak for anybody else, but one of the hardest things for me to do is to come up with a name for someone or something.

And it can completely stop me in my tracks. Tonight, I sat in front of MS Word for a good 45 minutes to an hour because I needed to come up with a few names for active superheroes in the city my story is set in. I had nothing, so I let myself waste a little time - check Facebook, catch up on some of my feeds on Google Reader.

I've gotten better, and once I'm warmed up, the name thing doesn't intimidate me so much anymore. Once I'd built up a head of steam, I deduced Achilles' name rather easily - Alec Keller. But here, I wanted a few superhero names to toss out at Floyd's at the beginning of this chapter, and it had me stopped cold. Eventually, I figured one out, and dug out two more that I'd mentioned earlier and it worked. Do you have anything like that? Anything that can paralyze you for an hour or longer?

Tonight's writing was pretty good for Erin, though. Too bad that in the coming nights, she's going to face a lot of demoralization from several quarters. I'll let her live it up for tonight, though, and call it.

Here's the word count:

Tonight's Word Count: 847

Total Word Count: 18,402

No comments:

Post a Comment